One County. One Vote. Hundreds of Game-Changing Policies
October 18, 2021
Whatcom set a national precedent that hundreds of local jurisdictions in the US, and increasingly Canada, can use to grow a grassroots movement to push for better climate change policies that do not depend on slower-moving government policy or bottom-line driven corporate rationale.
Stand.earth’s SAFE Cities campaign demonstrated and lived out every one of our principles in the several years it took to create this moment. The wait, and the impact, has been entirely worth it.
Thanks to the Whatcom success, the SAFE Cities campaign has seen a steadily growing number of wins with Los Angeles joining the new gas station prohibition, and more cities across North America joining the building electrification movement.
Check out some of our big successes, mentions, and opeds on SAFE Cities:
- Sierra: How One Washington County Took On the Fossil Fuel Industry—and Won
- Guardian: Washington state county is first in US to ban new fossil fuel infrastructure
- Guardian: Los Angeles may ban new gas stations to help combat climate emergency
- Op-Ed: Cities are banning new gas stations. More should join them.
- Los Angeles Times: California cities ban new gas stations in battle to combat climate change
- Bloomberg: Will Los Angeles, join a ban on new gas stations?