Celebrate Black History Month with Stand.earth
February 7, 2022
February is Black History Month, and Stand.earth wants to take time to uplift and celebrate Black-led organizations and culture. Too often the environmental movement only acknowledges Black lives in moments of crisis, so while the twin crises of climate change and racial injustice are ongoing, we want to share these resources, organizations, and people that have and continue to help shape Black culture’s history, present, and future.
To celebrate, please join us in uplifting these Black-led community organizations, supporting these Black businesses, and advocating for these Black cultural organizations. These are just a few great ways you can help support Black voices, livelihoods, and culture.
- Join the Movement for Black Lives celebration of “Black Futures Month”
- Get involved with Black-led racial justice campaigning organization Color of Change
- In the US, shop using WeBuyBlack, Black Wallet, and Official Black Wall Street, which list out and allow you to buy from Black-owned businesses
- In Canada, shop using this directory of black-owned businesses in Canada.
- On Instagram, follow “Black Girls with Gardens,” Toni Tipton-Martin, and Stephen Satterfield.
- Watch The Mashama Bailey episode of Chef’s Table & 30 other films that “celebrate Black joy”
- Join the Smithsonian’s online Black History month events
These are just a few examples, but we know there are millions more (see last year’s celebration for more). Please share what you’re doing to help celebrate.